Undergraduate and Accelerated Pre-Licensure Preceptor Awards
UC College of Nursing's Preceptor Awards recognize outstanding clinical practitioners who demonstrate an enthusiasm for the preceptor role and whose commitment to teaching, learning, and leading in the clinical environment inspires the next generation of registered nurses.
Preceptor Award recipients are nominated by UC College of Nursing pre-licensure students enrolled in our undergraduate and accelerated programs. Two recipients are chosen and recognized with a plaque and monetary award.
Before you complete the Preceptor Award nomination form, review the following information on who is eligible, qualities of an award-winning nominee, personal information you must include, and how to make your nomination stand out from the others.
Who is eligible for an award?
Nurses eligible for a preceptor award are those who have worked with students in the past 12 months in one of the following courses or special programs:
- Nursing Co-op Program (Cincinnati Children's or UC Medical Center)
- Dedicated Education Units (NBSN 3110-C, NBSN 3130-C or AMSN 7032-C)
- Population, Public and Community Health Nursing (NBSN3140-C or AMSN 7040-C)
- Patient Centered Care for Adults with Complex Health Concerns (NBSN 4102-C or AMSN 7043-C)
What qualities should nominees posess?
Preceptor award nominees should demonstrate the following qualities:
- Commitment to serving as a University of Cincinnati preceptor (measured by number of students precepted across semesters)
- Receptive to students' needs in the clinical environment
- Shares expertise and passion with the next generation of registered nurses
- Professionalism, leadership, and management skills
- Positive role model with well-developed interpersonal skills
What details will I need to include in my nomination?
Along with your personal information, you will need to provide:
- Nominee's name and email address
- Nominee's job title
- Nominee's employer (e.g. UC Health, Bon Secours Mercy Health)
- Nominee's work location (e.g. UC Medical Center, Mercy Fairfield Hospital)
- Nominee's unit (if applicable)
- Course or special program in which you worked with your nominee
- Answers to three questions about your experience working with your nominee
- Optional: A personal message to your nominee, which this person will receive when you submit your nomination form
How do I make my nomination stand out?
Examples! Examples! Examples! The nomination form includes three questions about your experience working with your nominee. To strengthen your nomination, include a specific example or examples that support each of your responses.
The nomination asks you to describe:
- How the nominee demonstrates a passion for and commitment to the role of preceptor.
- How the nominee created a quality learning experience for you in the time this person served as your preceptor.
- How your experience with this nominee as a preceptor has influenced your academic journey and your future role as a nurse.