Roderick & Barbara Barr Scholarship Fund
For Graduate Students in Nurse Practitioner Programs
The Roderick & Barbara Barr Scholarship Fund at the University of Cincinnati College of Nursing was established in 2001 to benefit master’s level students in nurse practitioner programs. The family’s personal experiences prompted them to establish this scholarship. They were moved by the excellent care provided by a nurse practitioner for a close relative who suffered from a terminal illness. They wish to promote nurses in advanced practice by supporting the College of Nursing at UC. It is the family’s hope that they can ease the burden of excellent students by providing significant financial support in the form of partial or full tuition.
- One $6,000 full-time scholarship and two $3,000 full- or part-time scholarships will be awarded to students who meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must be full or part-time (on-site) graduate students in the nurse practitioner program;
- Applicants must have a minimum of three years experience working as a registered nurse;
- Applicants must provide evidence of satisfactory educational achievements;
- Applicants will be asked to describe personal and professional motivations to become a nurse practitioner;
- Applicants will be asked to describe professional competencies that will contribute to their role as a nurse practitioner;
- Applicants must agree to a personal interview upon the request of the scholarship committee.
Applicants will be required, if selected for a scholarship, to submit a formal letter of acknowledgment to the benefactor and attend the annual Scholarship Benefactor Dinner.Finalists will be chosen by the scholarship committee from the pool of applicants and personal letters of recommendation will be solicited by the program directors on behalf of the finalists. These awards are renewable for one additional year upon demonstration of satisfactory academic performance.
- The recipient of the $6,000 scholarship will be a full-time nurse practitioner student and will demonstrate superior competence in the areas of:
- Communication skills
- Critical thinking
- Problem solving
The Scholarship Committee will review all applications submitted for the Roderick and Barbara Barr Scholarships and make its decision based upon the information provided in the application materials submitted by the candidate. Special attention should be paid to the subjective questionnaire, as thoughtful responses will be required. The decisions of the Scholarship Committee are final. Students who receive a Barr Scholarship will be notified in writing.